The Lawyer’s Lawyers
doing things differently
Lawyers for Lawyers
We are the lawyer’s lawyers. Over many years we have represented countless lawyers across all firms across the UK who have been having difficulties at work.
Most of our work in this space has focussed around mental health in the workplace – in particular, following time off for common mental health issues and lawyers then being pushed to exit on the false perception that they can no longer tolerate the stress of the legal environment.
As lawyers for lawyers, we have acted for partners, Managing Partners, associates, trainees – at any one time at least a third of our clients are working in the legal profession.
A few examples of the work we have done as the lawyer’s lawyer include:
• Negotiating an exit for a law firm partner who was made unwelcome by her fellow partners after returning from sick leave for depression. Substantial settlement, 6 figures.
• Negotiating an exit for a law firm managing partner after her fellow partners turned on her and tried to push her to quit;
• Negotiating a significant settlement for a law firm partner being side-lined following a serious accident affecting his mental wellbeing. Significant quantum;
• Threatening litigation but settling under an NDA a claim for a junior associate subjected to sexual harassment and for whom the working environment was increasingly hostile and intolerable;
• Commuting a permanent health insurance policy and terminating employment for a law firm associate unable to return to work for health reasons and providing an income for life;
• Negotiating an exit for a law firm associate in a firm which refused to make reasonable adjustments. Settlement enabled client to take substantial time off to retrain.
We know the challenges that working in law brings and we understand how law firms think and function.
Talk to us about how we can help you with your situation. If you require our lawyer’s lawyer service, get in touch with us today.
what our clients say
Having someone who was on my side, and who felt invested in getting a good outcome for me. The advice given was extremely helpful and practical, and the significant increase to the settlement sum was appreciated. Anita seemed to understand what I had gone through, and it was a huge relief to feel that I had someone in m corner to lessen the stress of getting things sorted. It also really meant a lot to get some validation that my employer had been making mistakes from someone who knows what they are talking about, after months of being told that believing mistakes had been made was in itself a symptom of mental illness.
It was my therapist who recommended Karen Jackson to me. The realisation that I could never go back to my role as a senior lawyer in a City law firm had hit me very hard. I felt bereaved, broken and completely without confidence in my ability. The toxic environment that was my department, had seen me go from “Partnership material” to someone who could do nothing right, in a matter of months. My first conversation with Karen was a revelation (and it was free). She had heard stories like mine so many times before and told me “about half of my clients are ‘broken’ lawyers” who have had similar experiences. I immediately felt vindicated. It wasn’t just me, I wasn’t exaggerating and more importantly, I wasn’t losing my mind. We agreed to speak again after Karen had reviewed the documents I had put together. Karen promptly provided me with confirmation that my evidence amounted to a strong case. This further validation started my recovery in a way that therapy could not. Karen’s knowledge of employment law is encyclopaedic and her expertise in the law around bullying and harassment is exceptional. Not only was I treated with respect and spoken to as an equal, but Karen encouraged me to do things for myself that she knew I was perfectly capable of. The positive feedback I received from her when I hesitantly drafted emails to my employer’s PHI insurers allowed me to start believing in myself again. It is this personal touch that makes all the difference. When the time finally came to negotiate a settlement, I knew Karen would get me the best possible deal – and she did. I cannot recommend her highly enough.
I don’t believe the quality of the advice I received could have been surpassed. The fees incurred were significantly outweighed by the increase in the settlement didlaw secured for me.
specialist employment discrimination lawyers
If you are seeking legal guidance regarding employment discrimination issues, get in touch with us today to book a free telephone assessment with our experts.